This interface is designed for public libraries. It provides access to the three encyclopedia products/levels licensed to Discus.
- Elementary Encyclopedia (Children's level)
- Compton's Encyclopedia (Young Adults level)
- Encyclopaedia Britannica (Reference Center level)
Public libraries may choose their preferred linking method.
- Link to the Britannica Library interface page where users may select the appropriate level from three choices.
- Britannica Library- http://www.library.eb.com
- Link separately and directly to the three individual levels.
- Britannica Library Children- http://library.eb.com/levels/children
- Britannica Library Young Adults- http://library.eb.com/levels/youngadults
- Britannica Library Reference Center (for high school students through adults)- http://library.eb.com/levels/referencecenter
Discus has licensed two additional children's products, but they are NOT included in the Britannica Library interface. Libraries will need to link to these resources separately:
- Britannica Learning Zone (for PreK - 2nd grade students)- http://archive.school.eb.com/learningzone/welcome
- Escolar (Britannica's elementary Spanish language encyclopedia)- http://escolar.eb.com
Britannica Online Academic Edition
This interface is designed for academic libraries. It provides access to Encyclopaedia Britannica:
- Britannica Academic- http://academic.eb.com
Recommended proxy configuration settings:
T Encyclopedia Britannica
Link to Each Individual Britannica Product Separately
Libraries may also link to each individual Britannica resource separately. The URLs are the same for both on-site and home/remote access.
Britannica's Animal Kingdom- http://school.eb.com/levels/elementary/browse/animals
Britannica Learning Zone- http://archive.school.eb.com/learningzone/welcome
Britannica Elementary (Britannica Elementary)- http://school.eb.com/levels/elementary
Britannica Middle School (Compton's by Britannica)- http://school.eb.com/levels/middle
Britannica High School (Encyclopaedia Britannica)- http://school.eb.com/levels/high
Enciclopedia Moderna- http://moderna.eb.com/
Escolar (Spanish)- http://escolar.eb.com/
Britannica Read Aloud Technology
Britannica's Read Aloud feature, which allows users to click a button and hear a paragraph of text read out loud, is provided to all users. System administrators should be given the following information regarding the technical requirements for the Read Aloud feature.
The following Internet access must be allowed:
Port 8080 must be open in order for the Read Aloud feature to function properly.
For optimal use of the Read Aloud functionality, institutions should allow these specific IPs:
- The primary IP (currently active) is 18.104.22.168 (this is at NL)
- The backup IP (currently inactive) is 22.214.171.124 (this is at DLS)
If your network blocks IP addresses, allowing these IPs should take care of any performance issues you may be experiencing.
Computer plug-in Adobe Flash Player version 10.0 or higher. Download Flash Player for free.
For further information, please contact Britannica Technical Support at (800) 621-3900 x7160 or firstname.lastname@example.org