Who can access Discus?
Discus is available at no cost to South Carolina residents.
Although Discus is available statewide, the resources are presented and accessed differently depending on your institutional affiliation. Basic instructions are below. If you're accessing from...
- A K-12 school: Direct your Web browser to: scdiscus.org. Ask your school library media specialist for information and assistance.
- A college or university: Use the database links and instructions on your college library's Web site. Ask your college librarian for information and assistance.
- A public library: As a public library patron, use the database links and instructions on your public library's Web site. Ask your public librarian for information and assistance.
- Your home or office: Direct your Web browser to scdiscus.org to use SmartSearch by Discus. As a South Carolina resident, you can easily and seamlessly access the Discus resources at physical locations other than media centers and libraries via the geolocation technology that operates behind-the-scenes for Discus. If you are not initially recognized as an authorized user of the resources, you will then be asked to provide the current Discus username and password, which may be obtained from the library that you are most often affiliated with.
I understand there is a statewide username and password for access. How can I get this information and begin using the resources?
You can obtain the current Discus username and password from the library that you are most often affiliated with, as outlined below.
- If you are a K-12 student, ask your school library media specialist for assistance.
- If you are a student at a college or university, check with your academic library for assistance.
- If you are a public library patron, ask the staff at your public library for assistance.
Once you have the current username and password, select your preferred resource and login when prompted.
What are the technical requirements for Discus?
Visit Discus's Technical Information page.
I’m having trouble accessing the databases. What should I do?
First, make sure that your equipment meets the minimum technical requirements. Here are some further troubleshooting tips:
- If you have been asked to provide the Discus username and password, are you using the current ones obtained from the librarian or media specialist at your school, college or public library? (The username and password are changed every July/August and are valid for a full year. Type them in lower case, when prompted, with the “Caps Lock” key turned OFF.)
- Are you using the correct URL (scdiscus.org) to connect to the Discus resources?
- Have you tried closing and reopening the browser to gain access?
- Have you tried accessing the databases on another computer (if available)?
- If you are unsuccessful at gaining access to one resource (database), can you connect to other Discus resources and Web sites? If so, contact your library to find out whether the resource is temporarily unavailable. Be prepared to explain the specific error message or problem that is occurring.
- If you’re trying to log in from an institution and are still unsuccessful after trying these tips, check with your technical contact person/department.
When I access the Discus resources from different schools and libraries, some of the options are different. Why?
Discus provides the same core resources to every participating institution, but colleges and public libraries are allowed to customize their links and options in order to blend these resources with their other services.